Old Rectory Barn sleeps 10 in 4 gernerous en suite bedrooms. 2 twin rooms, I double and a large family room with a double and 2 single beds.
The Barn is beautifully renovated, situated within the Brecon Beacons National Park, close to the hills, rivers and castles of Monmouthshire yet also convenient for the Industrial Heritage sites of the South Wales Valleys. It is within walking distance of the Brecon and Monmouthshire canal.
The Barn is ideal for families or large groups as the 2 cottages, which have an interconnecting door, can either be booked together (sleeps 10) or as 2 separate units. All bedrooms are en suite.
When we undertook the renovation we retained original features e.g. oak beams & stonework, yet have still created a modern & sustainable environment. The Barn has been a finalist in 2008 & 2009 National Environmental Awards and was awarded the Green Business Tourism GOLD Award. We now have a car eco charger for the use of guests.
LOFT which is set over 2 floors sleeps 4-6 people in 1 twin bedroom and 1 family room, both ensuite. The twin room has a wet room whilst the family bedroom has a double and 2 single beds and includes a bath with shower over. Loft has its own kitchen/living room on the first floor with a dining table that can be extended for 10 and with views to the Sugar Loaf. There is a cloakroom in the hall. The patio and garden have seating and a BBQ.
STABLES sleeps 4 people in 1 twin and 1 double bedroom, both en-suite. It has its own kitchen/living room. It is all on the ground floor with french windows to the garden from the living room and a patio area with seating and a BBQ.
Prices, which are given for the whole Barn (sleeps 10) are all inclusive of heating and electricity and linen and towels. We provide a Welcome Pack of local produce.
Both apartments have Freeview Digi TV and WiFi, and share a utility room with washing machine and dryer and separate freezer.
There is also a drying room for wet weather gear and secure storage for cycles etc.
You can abandon the car and spend your days walking or cycling and absorbing the fascinating local history but the whole of South Wales is easily accessible from here, including Cardiff if you feel like a day out in the capital city of Wales.
Short breaks available.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Old Rectory Barn||£540.00 per unit per week|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Electric car charging point
- Accessibility Guide
- Accessible Rooms - One of the downstairs twin bedrooms has wheelchair access and a wet room. There is also access to a ground floor living room and kitchen.
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Elderly and less mobile
- Wet rooms
- Refill Scheme
- Children welcome - Children welcome from any age
- Cots available
- High chairs available
- Microwave cooker
- All linens sanitized in high-temperature wash
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Central heating
- Drying facilities
- Ironing facilities
- Laundry facilities
- Washing machine
- Free WIFI
- Golf available (onsite or nearby) - Monmouthshire Golf Club nearby in Abergavenny. Other courses at Brecon and the famous Rolls Club in Monmouth all easily accessible. Celtic Manor within 20 mins drive.
- Pony trekking/horse-riding - A number of choices of centres for horse riding close by.
- Secure cycle storage
Linen & Bedding
- Linen provided
- Sleeps up to 10
- Free Parking on Site
- Private parking - Plenty of parking adjacent to the Barn
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement - Well behaved dogs accepted. They are not allowed in bedrooms (unless by prior arrangement), nor on furniture. Please keep them in control as there are animals in adjacent fields.
- Non-smoking property
- Pet Friendly
- WiFi or internet access
- CD player
- DVD player
- Ground floor bedroom
- Satellite TV
- Scenic view
- Building of historical interest
- Accepts groups
Property Facilities: Old Rectory Barn
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Ground floor bedroom
- Scenic view
Map & Directions
By Road:As you leave Gilwern village on the Crickhowell Road (A4077) turn left opposite the Corn Exchange Pub. Turn left again into Maesygwartha Road immediately after crossing the Brecon and Monmouthshire canal. Turn sharp right at a small crossroads as you leave the village of Maesygwartha and after100m right again into our drive. The Barn is signposted from Maesygwartha Road.Public Transport:By train to Abergavenny Station, taxi or bus from station or pick up can be arranged.
Public Transport Directions
The local train station is in Abergavenny and there is a bus service which brings you within walking distance of the Barn. We can also arrange to pick you up from the station or bus stop.
Train services connect to Cardiff and Hereford.