Book Tickets Online
Tintern Abbey is a national icon – still standing in roofless splendour on the banks of the River Wye nearly 500 years since its tragic fall from grace.
It was founded in 1131 by Cistercian monks, who were happy to make do with timber buildings at first. Abbot Henry, a reformed robber, was better known for his habit of crying at the altar than for his architectural ambitions.
A simple stone church and cloisters came later. But then, thanks to the patronage of wealthy Marcher lords, the white-robed monks began to think bigger.
In 1269 they began to build a new abbey church and didn’t stop until they’d created one of the masterpieces of British Gothic architecture. The great west front with its seven-lancet window and the soaring arches of the nave still take the breath away.
So grateful were the monks to their powerful patron Roger Bigod that they were still handing out alms on his behalf in 1535. But by then King Henry VIII’s English Reformation was well underway.
Only a year later Tintern surrendered in the first round of the dissolution of the monasteries – and the great abbey began slowly to turn into a majestic ruin.
The car park outside Tintern Abbey is pay & display.
Please see website for entry prices.
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- Free Parking
- Dogs Accepted
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
Map & Directions
M4 Eastbound Junction 23 & M48 or Westbound Junction 21 & M48. Leave the M48 at Junction 2 & A466 for Chepstow; continue on this road (signed for Monmouth) to Tintern and Abbey signed to right.Accessible by Public Transport: Chepstow station is 5.5 miles away.