Book Tickets Online
The ruins of St. Mary's Church can be seen on the hill above the former Abbey Hotel and originally served the Parish of Chapel Hill at the southern end of Tintern. The area was included into the neighbouring Parish of Tintern Parva in 1902.
The church, which was rebuilt in 1866 remained in use until 1972 before being destroyed by fire in 1977. It stands on the site of a medieval chapel, probably built as a retreat for the monks of Tintern Abbey or for the secular community growing outside the Abbey walls.
The graveyard contains several interesting monuments including one to Peter Carr who died on the 14th of October 1913 in the Senghenydd Pit disaster and a war grave To Private B B Hall, an American citizen who enlisted in the Lancashire Fusiliers and died at Connaught Hospital, Farnborough on 5th March 1919 aged 22 years.
Also within the graveyard is a restored listed sarcophagus tomb, which is believed to belong to Richard White, a wealthy ironworks leaseholder who died in 1765. Richard White was the son of George White, who owned the New Weir Forge and Furnace at Symonds Yat and Monmouth Forge.
The churchyard is still occasionally used for burials. Local working parties still try to keep the area tidy but visitors should be aware that this ruin is considered unsafe and that entry is at their own risk.